Monday, November 1, 2010

Finally a dry place

We spent the day traveling to the same village as yesterday and it seemed not as bumpy although the bumper fell off and the radiator cap fell into the engine compartment. Luckily we found it and didn't overheat the engine.

Once at the site, we found a path for the track hoe and tipper to go around the village instead of through it and the track hoe had completely dry soil to dig in. I got to be involved in initial mapping of the village so I spent my time searching the perimeter for grinding areas and sluicing areas. I found many of them and finally learned some new Hausa words. Wanke is slyicing or panning. Rua is water. Don't know if they are spelled correctly...




On my perimeter search I found a man building a new silo for his guinea corn. It takes many days to build one.







My female counterpart went into a compound today where a two year-old boy who used to be very active and playful is now lethargic and can hardly walk. He will hopefully make it into the hospital tomorrow to begin chelation treatment.  The kids in these villages are amazing.


1 comment:

  1. John, thanks for writing about your experience. I think it's awesome that you are contributing your talents. Best wishes. Tamara

    ReplyDelete